miércoles, 3 de marzo de 2010

Death. I can't make a joke out of that.

"If the light of a thousand suns were to burst into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the mighty one.... I am become death, the shatterer of worlds."
-J. Robert Oppenheimer, quoting the Bhagavad Gita, after the detonation of the first atomic bomb

Here I am, back in front of the computer, writting about death. Now really, what was Ernesto thinking? I can't writte about death. No teenager nor the majority of humans can.It's like love, no matter how hard artists, philosophers and scientists try, we'll never really understand it in it's totality beyond it's physiological aspects. But anyway, let's move on.
We learned in philosophy class that, according to a lot of philosophers, you become an adult when you realize that you are going to die, and that the intelligence of a man is measured by how well he has accepted that he is going to die. Then, according to a lot of philosophers, I'm a complete idiot. I've never accepted death. To me, the termination of existence is an unfair, dreadful and even presposterous thing, and it scares me to death (Geddit?).
To avoid being permanently scared, I have always hided in the belief that technological progress wil make me inmortal (If hydras and jellyfishes can, why can't I?). And to avoid thinking to much about the real possibilities of that happening, I try to keep myself occupied ALL THE TIME, with more than one thing at the same time if possible. So thank you, Ernie, when the demons of the defunct future haunt me tonight rendering me as helpless as that little boy that cried to his parents that he didn't want to die ten years ago, I shall remember you. Or, more precisely, I shall remember your mother.

2 comentarios:

  1. Truly thought provoking Ander. Spelling...writing, write. It makes your writings more readable when you separate you sentences with two spaces.
    Peace in the Middle East

    ResponderEliminar
  2. It seems activity never stops in your brain, Ander. You've hit a very complicated topic and I can say you're not the only one absolutely terrified with the idea of your own death.

    A horrible night without sleeping begins with a thought like: "What I've done today will never be done again. I'll never be able to repeat this moment." And then... "Never. Ever."

    I have to admit that my scientific education has made me an atheist but, inside of myself; I want to believe. I can't believe because I know that everything out of "nothing" will be wrong; but I really want to believe in something that makes the idea of death less... horrible.

    (This is my English level, nothing great...)

    ResponderEliminar